Our annual Rio Raffle is now over! Thank you to everyone who participated!
Nov 20, 2014–We’re raffling a trip for two to Rio de Janeiro from any major city in the world. The winners will experience seven nights in one of the most spectacular cities on earth, with bed and breakfast, breathtaking views from Christ the Redeemer, and an educational community visit in a local favela included. Just $15 to enter.
All Raffle proceeds go towards supporting Catalytic Communities and benefit the communities and community partners we work with. This year’s proceeds will fund the essential expansion of community reporting and RioOnWatch across Rio’s favelas, including a network of community and regional correspondents, in the run-up to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. All prize costs (such as flight miles and accommodation) are generously donated by our network of supporters. So funds raised go entirely to our mission. See what last year’s Raffle made possible.
This year’s Rio Raffle deadline has been extended by 24 hours to December 11th, 2014 at 11:59pm in the last time zone. The original December 10th deadline was extended because of an attack on our website host the night prior that left our website down for 7 hours, while dozens were attempting to purchase tickets.
The annual Rio Raffle is the most important opportunity each year for our extensive network of volunteers, collaborators, supporters and their networks to come together to support CatComm, our mission of advocating for a more equitable and sustainable future for favelas and informal housing worldwide, and the community partners that we work with.
Thanks to generous mileage and accommodation donations, the Rio Raffle prize is valued at over $4,000. It includes:
- Round-trip flights for two to Rio de Janeiro during low season, or one during high season.
- 7 nights at poolside guesthouse bed and breakfast in Santa Teresa, Rio’s charming centrally located, bohemian and best preserved historic neighborhood (with option of several nights in Ipanema flat near the beach instead).
- Tickets for 2 to the Christ the Redeemer statue.
- A private Educational Favela Visit with community leader and CatComm team.
- Dinner and access to local knowledge with CatComm staff.
Raffle tickets cost $15 each, and you can buy up to 20 tickets. There are 3 ways to purchase tickets:
- Online using your credit card via CatComm’s fundraising platform by clicking here.
- Via PayPal. You’ll need to enter your amount manually (remember each ticket costs $15).
- If you prefer to mail a check, please make it out to Catalytic Communities and mail to PO Box 42010, Washington, DC 20015. You’ll need to include your name and contact information in the entry, and it must arrive by December 10th.
‘Thank you!’ Tickets
CatComm’s Rio Raffle is an opportunity to re-engage previous year supporters and to have more people around the world hear about our work and get involved on behalf of Rio de Janeiro’s favela communities. As such we encourage you to participate year after year, engage further and spread the word. When you do, in gratitude you will receive extra ‘Thank you!’ tickets. There is no limit to the number of ‘Thank you!’ tickets you can receive. There are four ways you are eligible:
- Early Bird – If you enter the 2014 Rio Raffle by our “Early Bird” deadline of November 30th, 2014 we’ll give you an extra ticket.
- Return Supporter – If you entered a previous year’s raffle, when you buy at least one ticket this year we’ll add an extra “Thank you!” ticket in your name for each previous year you entered. So if you’ve entered the raffle in one prior year, we’ll add one extra chance to win on your behalf. If you’ve entered in three previous years, we’ll add three. And so on.
- Referrals – For every US$30 (2 tickets) referred or recruited by you before 11:59pm December 11th,* 2014 we’ll add an extra ticket in your name (even if you do not buy a ticket). Everyone who buys a ticket is asked if someone referred them.
- Become an Olympic Champion – If you sign up to donate monthly through the Olympics by December 11,* we’ll give you an extra ‘Thank you!’ ticket for each $3 committed (e.g. if you sign up committing to donate $15 per month through 2016, we’ll give you 5 ‘Thank you!’ tickets this year and next).
This year’s Rio Raffle closes on December 11th, 2014* at 11:59pm in the last time zone.
*The original December 10th deadline was extended by 24 hours to December 11th because of an attack on our website host the night prior that left our website down for 7 hours.
This year’s Rio Raffle will be drawn on December 12th. The winner will be notified that day by email. All entrants in the Rio Raffle will be notified about the result by December 12th. For more information about the draw please see the Terms and Conditions.
Check out these Videos
Check out and share our 2014 Rio Raffle video!
See what our 2013 winner had to say about his trip!
And check out what past winners had to say about their experiences here!